The Sooner You Use These Baseball Exercises the Better
I was working on a feedback session with one of my online lessons Austin, from SoCal, the other day…
And I realized that yes, most of the time, fixes are swing specific, but other times…
It can be suggesting a corrective exercise to help stabilize the core better during the swing. In this post, I’m going to walk you through:
- The late torso “tip”, and then
- How to correct it with two simple baseball exercises…
The Late Torso “Tip”
Watch the quick analysis video above…
Basically it’s a late tipping of the torso towards the plate, at the waist. This can cause the head to lay parallel to the ground obstructing vision. Sometimes, the back shoulder and ear get closer to together (like Derek Jeter), which breaks, what Dr. Kelly Starrett calls, spinal integrity, and will bleed force at impact.
This can be caused by a dysfunctional Quadratus Lumborum (or QL). And, according to Thomas Myers of Anatomy Trains, an imbalanced Lateral Fascial Line.
How To Correct it with Two Simple Baseball Exercises
Here are the two exercises to help with lateral core stabilization during the Final Turn:
- Side Plank (specific) – or CLICK HERE to view a side plank laying on the forearm (if you have wrist issues).
- One-Sided Farmer’s Walk (integrated).
Here’s what the acute variables look like (for both baseball exercises)…
- Week-ONE: 2 sets X 45 secs ea. side,
- Week-TWO: 2 sets X 60 secs each side,
- Week-THREE: 3 sets X 45 secs ea. side, and
- Week-FOUR: 3 sets X 60 secs ea side.
Do these baseball exercises horizontally. In other words, do a set of side planks (both sides), followed by a set of one-sided farmer’s walks (both sides). Rest 60-seconds, then move onto set #2.
I’ve spent 11+ years in the corrective fitness industry, and have too many alphabet-soup certifications to bore you with.I also played four years of Division One baseball at Fresno State from 2000-2003.
It’s NOT how you study, but what you study that counts.I apply human movement principles (or rules), validated by science, to hitting a baseball and softball.
Latest posts by Joey Myers (see all)
- How To Motivate Athletes To Commit To Training Consistently & With Intensity…WITHOUT “Burning Them Out” - October 11, 2017
- The Sooner You Know ‘Swinging Down’ Is A Disaster The Better - October 5, 2017
- How To Train A 2-Year-Old To Hit A Moving Ball - September 29, 2017