What college coaches and scouts look for in baseball or softball player recruits and what are the chances of getting a scholarship in 2022-2023. Learn some parenting advice from Coach Mark Gonzalez about how to get your son or daughter noticed and does your kid have to play travel ball?
GoBigRecruiting.com says this about the chances of getting a scholarship… (true for baseball and softball)
“There are only about 300 division one programs, and they all only have 12 scholarships. With hundreds of thousands of HS softball players out there, the odds are less than 5%.“
“You Can Have Average Mechanics and If You Have A Good Approach, You Can Still Be Successful” – Mark Gonzalez Dad Advice on How To Hit a Baseball
In this how to hit a baseball post interview with Mark Gonzalez, aka East Bay Mark – @NorCal_Trojan on Twitter, and inspirational parent coaching his High School Junior hitter, joined me on the Swing Smarter Hitting Training Podcast and here’s what we covered:
- What do you find to be the biggest mistake, one or two mistakes on how to hit a baseball that you see out there?
- Was there an aha moment at some point where you finally said Oh, you know what, I might be over overdoing this being the helicopter parent?
- “You can have average mechanics and if you have a good approach, you can still be successful…”
- Is how to hit a baseball all about hitting dingers and doubles?
- What ever happened to playing Whiffle Ball in the street, and can kids learn anything from video games?
- What things have you guys been doing on the recruiting side?
- “If this college wants a certain type of hitting approach and if that’s the hitting approach you really don’t like well maybe that’s not the school for you…”
- Any other how to hit a baseball parting thoughts that you would give to those parents out there with freshmen, sophomores, juniors in high school, coming from a dad who’s coaching their own kid?
- Where can people find you Coach Mark and powerful BONUS tips???
CLICK HERE to download and save the how to hit a baseball transcript PDF.
About travel ball, nowadays it’s a good idea, but in my opinion it doesn’t have to be all year round. Get kids playing other sports in the off season if you can. Above all, make sure they’re working on the right things, and then working on doing those things right. Also, here are two other helpful recruiting links:
- Power Showcase: How to Improve Your Recruiting Efforts
- Committing to College Baseball: Podcast episode
Grab two chapters of our NEW Amazon book FREE...
"Swing Smarter: Science Based Hitting Training Built To Understand How, Why, & Reasoning Behind It"