Where was this post when I was younger!
Soon you'll get to see how Dr. Stanley Beekman took his son from virtually zero follow through in a game swing…
To crystal clear follow through using a heavy bag. A homemade heavy bag, you'll learn how to put together over a weekend, for only $10.
One simple NOTE: in the last hitting drill under “A Drill That Will Help the Hips”, make sure your hitters are showing their numbers to the pitcher, and keep the hips in neutral, or parallel to the plate before powering into the heavy bag.
Take it away Dr. Stanley…
In this post, I will discuss:
- Swing benefits of using a heavy bag,
- How to make one for $10 (step-by-step), and
- How we used the heavy bag to better my son's swing in 2 weeks…
- A drill that will help the hips
Swing Benefits of Using a Heavy Bag
In the following video watch the bat slow down when the bat contacts the ball. This results in a lack of follow through:
When asked about it, he said, he didn't follow through because the ball stopped the bat. One of the reasons for this is a lack of eccentric strength in the wrists and forearms.
Right after this, he started hitting the heavy bag. (Starting with 5 sets of 10 repetitions and over time progressing to 10 sets of 10 repetitions). He felt the change in two weeks. He said, “Dad, it felt like a hot knife through butter”. We continued through the off season…
How to Make a Heavy Bag for $10 (STEP-BY-STEP)
- 3- Used tires of the same diameter (Free from any tire store)
- 12-1″ -2″ screws
- 12- nuts to fit the machine screws
- 3-1/4″ eye bolts ($3.54)
- 1-Large eye bolt with 2 washers and nut or a Large Screw eye bolt
- Parachute cord ($3.98)
- Drill bits
1. Find a location under a joist or beam.
2. If you are attaching the heavy bag to a beam, drill a hole through it and use the large eye bolt, 2 washers and a nut to attach the eye bolt to the beam.
If you are attaching the heavy bag to a joist, screw the Screw Eye Bolt to the joist.
3. Place a stool/bench on the floor where you want to put the Heavy bag. The height should be equal to your son's knee.
4. Place on tire on top of the stool, and the second tire on top of the first.
5. Drill 4 holes at 90 degrees through the sidewall of the top tire and through the bottom tire at the area where the side walls touch.
6. Affix the tires using 4 screws, 8 washers and 4 nuts.
7. Stack the third tire on top of the other two.
8. Repeat steps 5 and 6 on the two top tires
9. Drill 3 holes through the sidewall of the top tire at 120 degrees to each other.
10. Push the small eye bolts through these holes and affix with the washers and nuts.
11. Tie a knot attaching the parachute cord to one small eye bolt.
12. Run the parachute cord through the large eye bolt and then to another small eye bolt.
13. Tie a knot.
14. Repeat steps 11-13 on the adjacent small eye bolt
15. Repeat steps 11-13 on the eye bolts that only have one strand going to it.
16. Remove the stool/bench
17. Hit the bag with a bat
How We Used the Heavy Bag to Better my Son's Swing in 2-Weeks
Here's what we did to achieve the AFTER swing from above :
A Drill That Will Help the Hips
In addition to hitting the bag to develop eccentric wrist and arm strength, we can train technique. In the video below, the hips are trained to rotate fully.
There are more drills that can be performed, but they can be duplicated with a tee. The advantage to using a heavy bag, is that the feedback is more accurate, as it is not dependent on how exact the ball is hit.
- Conditioning Drills For Baseball Part-2 Videos: Flexibility - April 22, 2015
- You Too Can Build a Heavy Bag in a Weekend with $10 - March 19, 2015
- Why Your Landing Foot Shouldn't “Drift” When Turning - February 21, 2015