Reader Question: “What flexibility work do you do with your trainees to enhance counter-rotation of the torso as the foot lands open?”
This questions stems from how I teach hitters to ‘show their numbers’ to the pitcher during the load, as close to stride landing as possible…
(see image of Andrew McCutchen)
But for this to work, here’s the kicker…
The hitter MUST land open with the bottom half…front foot open between 45 and 60-degrees.
This creates what some coaches call torque, or counter-rotation of the shoulders-to-pelvis…
These are basic walking mechanics of the spine…and is why, as your right leg swings forward, so does your left arm.
So how do we optimize this action with our hitters using flexibility and strengthening?
I’m about 8-weeks into an online gymnastics strength training course through GymnasticBodies.com myself. I’ve finished their Fundamentals course, and currently working through their Handstand course.
CLICK HERE to get $25 OFF full price of $100 for their Fundamentals course. I don’t get paid if you purchase the course. I just LOVE what they’re doing, and believe ALL hitters MUST be engaging in this type of mobility and strength training.
(PLEASE NOTE: I’m not sure how long this deal will be up, so jump on it!)
Why am I putting myself through this training?
#1: as my wife will tell you, this is a gross obsession of mine…sometimes bordering on OCD.
And #2: I wanted to pick up a few things about bodyweight training mobility and stability for my hitters.
One of my guiding principles is if you aren’t growing, then you’re dying.
And if you’re a coach that takes mentoring young athletes seriously, then you MUST be subscribing to the same proactive learning principles.
So, in the above video, we go over:
- Rotation v. Anti-Rotation (acceleration v. braking systems)
- Rotation stretch – hold each side for at least 30-secs
- Rotation strengthen:
- Windshield Wipers – do 10 repetitions each side
- Anti-Rotation strengthen:
- Side Plank (anti-side bend) – start off with holding for 30-secs, then increase by 15-secs after mastery
- 3-Point Plank (anti-rotation of pelvis) – start off holding for 30-secs, then increase by 15-secs after mastery.
- Modern MLB Bat Path Level Swing Trainer To Fix Drag: Turning Vs Pushing Barrel Hitting Aids For Baseball & Softball - November 28, 2022
- Fun Game Like Batting Practice Hitting Stations To AVOID Baseball Or Softball Mental Block & Struggling At The Plate - November 28, 2022
- Improve Bat Speed & Increase Hitting Power Using Drills For Baseball Or Softball Like Lou Gehrig On YouTube - November 28, 2022