Discover whether the best adjustable baseball baseball power swing drills found on YouTube for youth to high school hitters are a MYTH. Learn about at home hitting mechanics that are data and science supported.
Here are the “parts” of Perry and my conversations:
- Part-1: Why Instruction To Increase Exit Velocity? Baseball & Softball Bat Speed Tips Improving Hitting Power (or listen via Podcast),
- Part-2: Beyond Baseball’s Launch Angle: The Critical Exit Velocity & Timing Context Most Hitting Coaches Overlook (or listen via Podcast), and
- [YOU ARE HERE] Part-3: Best Adjustable Baseball Power Swing Drills For Youth To High School MYTHS? At Home Hitting Mechanics Data & Science Supported (or listen via Podcast)
Joey Myers and Perry Husband continue their discussion in Part 3 of their series, focusing on effective velocity and hitting performance. They utilize screen sharing to provide a more in-depth look, targeting viewers on YouTube and podcast listeners. The YouTube video link is available in the show notes.
Mocking Exit Velocity Mechanics
They start by questioning the importance of teaching exit velocity mechanics, suggesting that there may be better methods.
Analyzing Mike Trout’s Philosophy
A detailed analysis of Mike Trout’s hitting approach reveals that he loses about 30 mph exit velocity on fastballs up and in versus down and away. Perry argues that this shows the inefficiency of Major League Baseball’s default mode of adjusting to inside fastballs.
Efficiency and Proof
They claim that their approach is efficient, repeatable, and provable. Perry emphasizes the importance of understanding hard hit balls, which he says usually occur on the hardest pitches and combinations that tend to sit within a 6-mph speed differential.
Subjectivity and Science
Perry notes that while much of hitting is subjective, his insights are based on data from hundreds of thousands of observations.
Importance of Mechanics
Both agree that having efficient mechanics can make a difference, especially when the hitter is not perfectly timed. Perry uses examples to explain that good mechanics can result in hard-hit balls even when timing is off.
Comparing Softball and MLB
The conversation also touches on how elite level softball hitters could challenge MLB hitters due to the different velocity and distance aspects of their respective sports.
The session delves deep into what constitutes an effective hitting mechanic, asking whether the goal is an adjustable swing or maximizing the likelihood of a hard-hit ball. Perry suggests the latter should be the focus, using data and real-life examples to make his point.
Joey and Perry cover a range of topics from the inefficiency of traditional hitting mechanics to the importance of having data-backed, efficient, and repeatable hitting philosophies. The series aims to offer a more scientifically-grounded perspective on effective hitting.
- Master Your Swing: How to Choose the Best Baseball Hitting Training Videos for Immediate Skill Boost - February 28, 2024
- Mastering Advanced Baseball Techniques: Personalized Online Coaching Elevates Youth & High School Hitting Skills - January 17, 2024
- Master the Art of Batting by Doing the Opposite of What You Think - January 16, 2024