If You Don’t Pre-Hab or Rehab Your Ankles Now, You’ll Hate Yourself Later
I sought out to do a 4-week case study – on myself – to see what the Freo Board could do for the chronic tightness on the inside of my right knee.
This was caused by playing 17 years of an unbalanced one-sided sport, baseball…along with a bad ankle sprain my Freshman year in college, and jamming my right leg into the hip climbing a wall going back on fly ball during a game against Fullerton my Sophomore year.
Also dumb knuckle-headed-ness like running a marathon in 2008, and doing high repetition Cross-fit WOD’s post marathon were straws that FINALLY broke the camel’s back (or in my case my knee).
And I’m happy to report that after one week of using the Freo Board, I haven’t had to Foam Roll or Trigger Point my TFL or IT Bands, or stretch out my hamstrings and calves in the last 3 weeks!
Some benefits I’ve felt:
- Little to no tension on the inside of my right knee,
- Better stability when changing direction,
- More hamstring flexibility when bending over and picking things up,
- Less calf tightness, and
- Lighter on my feet.
Overall benefits of using a Freo or Slant Board…
- Build better ankle mobility,
- Secure better knee stability,
- Make hip mobility better,
- Overall better balance,
- Great pre-rehabilitation for ankle, knee, and hip, and
- Superb ankle, knee, or hip rehabilitation post injury.
Benefits for hitters…
- Better dynamic balance on off-speed and breaking balls,
- Will move better, therefore will perform better,
- Boost in running speed and agility, and
- More effective in dealing with and transferring Gravitational Forces.
- At least 4-5 days per week,
- 5-10 minutes per day,
- Do the “cross” foot positions on Days-1-3-5, and
- Do the “X” foot positions on Days-2-4
- Progressions: move the non-balancing leg in front, to the side, and behind the athlete
Resources mentioned in the above video
- Yoga Mat,
- Slant Board,
- Freo Board (what I’m using in the video), and
- GymBoss – Interval timer which I suggest setting at 20-secs work time, and 5-secs foot position switch time.
Look, whether you’re trying to reduce your risk for injury, currently rehabbing a recent injury, or the injury was a decade ago, the Freo Board will help…A LOT.
Please keep me updated on the progress of your hitters by using the Freo or Slant Board by sharing your thoughts in the comments section below…