Here is a Method that Helped Hank Aaron to Consistently Hit Dingers…
According to Baseball-Reference.com, Hank Aaron averaged almost 33 homers over 23 seasons (755 all-time homers). And at ONLY 6’0″, 180-pounds, I would say that’s quite an accomplishment!
The above 24-minute video is a home-run derby hosted by Mark Scott. You can purchase the Legends Home Run Derby 3 Volume Set (I only see volumes 1 & 3 though) on Amazon to watch it on your TV.
This particular one pits Hank Aaron against Al Kaline. I wanted to get your reaction on some of the swings, but before I do that…I figured some of you wouldn’t have time to watch the whole 24-minutes, so I included some time-stamps below for quick reference.
(abbrev.: HA = Hank Aaron, AK = Al Kaline, & MS = Mark Scott)
- MS comments on AK’s swing: “crowds the plate, closed stance” (2:53) – notice how he steps in the bucket
- HA asked to comment on AK’s swing: “sweeps at the ball” (3:01)
- AK describes HA’s swing: “relaxed, waits till last minute, ‘pops’ his wrist into the ball and it really jumps” (6:25)
- MS comments on AK’s swing: “long stride”, then HA adds: “get out there, get that ball, that’s what you’re suppose to do” (7:43)
- HA homer chest view (10:33)
- HA gapper back view (11:15)
- HA gapper – fly out – to left center, back-chest view (14:33)
- HA homer, chest view (14:45)
- HA homer, chest view (15:05)
- HA homer, chest view (18:05)
Interesting to Note…
- How far and high Hank Aaron’s back foot comes off the ground during his turn
- How much forward momentum both hitters get
- How early the barrel starts on the pitch plane
- How much both hitters get on their front sides…
What do you think? Please leave your comments or questions under the “Leave a Reply” section…
- Youth Game Day Mental Approach Hitting Training For Baseball & Softball | How To Get Better At 2 Strike Batting & Most Important Psychology And Anxiety Tips - May 24, 2022
- Hit More Hard Line Drive Lasers Up The Middle For Baseball & Softball | Fix Swinging Under Ball, STOP Pop Ups, & Why Too Many Ground Balls? | Beginner Hitting Drills You Can Do At Home By Yourself - May 24, 2022
- Baseball & Softball Preloading Hitting Torque OR Use Lower Half Hip Rotation For Power? | Swing Drills Over Rotating Experiment - May 23, 2022