Addison Russell Grand Slam Video: The Anatomy Of A Dinger
I had quite a few people ask me what I thought of Addison Russell’s grand slam in game-6 of the 2016 World Series.
I had just missed it minutes before taking my family (wife, 4yo, & 7-month old) to get pizza, where not one television was present :-/
So I set out to do an Addison Russell grand slam video analysis the next morning.
Gosh I love the Playoff and World Series quality of slow motion video…
…10K frames per second, where you can see every wrinkle on a players uniform, AND face!!
And that’s saying something because these are “kids” we’re watching on TV…I can say that now that I’m older 😛
So enjoy this video analysis and please post any comments, questions, or concerns below.
In the following Addison Russell grand slam video analysis, we’ll discuss:
- Fangraphs comparison on GB%, LD%, FB%, HR/FB%, height/weight (6’0″, 195-lbs),
- Nike Swoosh barrel path,
- Barrel matching the plane of the pitch – up to 91-mph FB,
- Finger Pressure,
- ‘Barrel chasing’ batted ball – extension (power-V): defense against being out in front on OS & CB/SL,
- Statcast: 108-mph BES, 23-degree launch angle, 434-foot distance,
- Somewhat hunched posture,
- Med/High leg kick (float to fall),
- Float barrel up (knob flashlight down),
- Alignment of back foot and leg, and
- Knee Action at landing and during the turn.
One extra thing I didn’t mention, look at what part of the ball Addison Russell struck 😉
I’ve spent 11+ years in the corrective fitness industry, and have too many alphabet-soup certifications to bore you with.I also played four years of Division One baseball at Fresno State from 2000-2003.
It’s NOT how you study, but what you study that counts.I apply human movement principles (or rules), validated by science, to hitting a baseball and softball.
Latest posts by Joey Myers (see all)
- Justin Turner Walk Off Homerun Swing Analysis - October 18, 2017
- How To Motivate Athletes To Commit To Training Consistently & With Intensity…WITHOUT “Burning Them Out” - October 11, 2017
- The Sooner You Know ‘Swinging Down’ Is A Disaster The Better - October 5, 2017