Reader Question: “How to improve my son’s timing?”
In this post, I wanted to tease out the adjustment tactics discussed by US Marine Col. Mark Coast in this case study post on how to take well timed practice swings into game at-bats.
(And by the way, Col. Coast has a college background in Physics and Engineering. He’s currently a Tactical and Firearms Training Specialist for Navy Seal and Marine snipers)…
But before I get into what’s in the above video, I want you to watch the following of Josh Donaldson explaining his approach to timing with Sean Casey:
Now, leg kick or no leg kick, the point I want my hitters to get is there MUST be some sort of ‘FLOAT’, which I get into more detail in my video above.
Notice how Donaldson connects music to rhythm. He mentions the ‘flow’ of Manny Ramirez in the box…I actually tried to copy this as well when I was playing.
Josh Donaldson is one of the first elite hitters I’ve seen (Bautista does a good job too) to break down what he’s actually doing, and not what he thinks he’s doing.
In my video above, we’ll cover:
- 3-5 swing rounds,
- Game intensity swings,
- Using the Hitting Outcome Evaluation Checklist,
- Minimal coaching feedback & okay to make mistakes,
- Tactical: Float & Fall or (Ride & Stride), and
- Tactical: Varied Reaction LIVE Toss Timing Drill.
- How To Increase Hitting Power: Bat Speed And Exit Velocity Exercise Formula For Baseball, Softball, & Slow Pitch Drills | What Is Good Off Tee By Age & Average High School Program - August 8, 2022
- Fernando Tatis Jr. Swing Breakdown: How To Use Legs In Lower Half, Stride, Hip Rotation, And Arm Bar For Baseball & Softball Hitting - August 8, 2022
- Increase Youth Baseball Hitting Power Teach | How To Hit Fastpitch Or Slowpitch Softball Better, Farther, & In Certain Direction | Homerun Batting Tips! - August 8, 2022