Carlos Gonzalez: A Killer MLB Power Strategy You Can Use Too…
I’m comparing two Colorado Rockies hitters, Carlos Gonzalez (aka Car-Go) and Nolan Arenado (2014 franchise record 28-game hit streak). What repeatable power advantage does a guy like Car-Go have that Arenado may not? Is it height? Weight?
Neither. Look how similar Car-Go and Arenado are physically (resource: Baseball-Reference.com):
- Carlos Gonzalez – 6 foot, 1 inch, 220 pounds
- Nolan Arenado – 6 foot, 2 inches, 205 pounds
In this video, we’re going to:
- Compare 5 key offensive numbers (based on a 162-game average),
- See what Car-Go and Arenado’s swings have in common, and
- Reveal the killer MLB power strategy.
Comparing 5 Key Offensive Numbers…
Here are key offensive numbers from the charts below, between Car-Go and Arenado:
- On-Base% (OBP)…Carlos Gonzalez = .355, Nolan Arenado = .309
- Slug% (SLG)…Car-Go = .527, Arenado = .432
- On-Base%+Slug% (OPS)…Car-Go = .882, Arenado = .741
- Doubles (2B)…Car-Go = 36, Arenado = 40
- Home-runs (HR)…Car-Go = 29, Arenado = 15
Sure we have more data points for Car-Go (7-years) than Arenado (2-years). However, looking at how efficient each moves when swinging the bat, we’ll be able to assess the potential for Arenado’s performance in the future. In addition to learning how Gonzalez may be able to improve.
CLICK HERE to get a brilliant Sabermetrics point of view for Car-Go 2.0.
What Car-Go & Arenado’s Swings have in Common
These are the human movement rules in common from the analysis:
- Forward Momentum
- Tight Turns
- Engage Catapult Loading System
The Killer MLB Power Strategy
In comparing the two swings, what steps would Arenado have to take to hit for more consistent power like Carlos Gonzalez? One of the secrets to repeatable power lies in the spine angle, which is achieved by the bend in the back knee. The spine’s angle can allow a hitter to:
- Get the barrel level on the downward plane of the pitch (slight upswing),
- Stay in the impact zone longer (increased margin for error),
- Keep the eyes and head from moving forward during the Final Turn,
- Fully transfer linear (forward) into angular (turning) momentum (increased bat speed).
- Drive the ball!!
- Modern MLB Bat Path Level Swing Trainer To Fix Drag: Turning Vs Pushing Barrel Hitting Aids For Baseball & Softball - November 28, 2022
- Fun Game Like Batting Practice Hitting Stations To AVOID Baseball Or Softball Mental Block & Struggling At The Plate - November 28, 2022
- Improve Bat Speed & Increase Hitting Power Using Drills For Baseball Or Softball Like Lou Gehrig On YouTube - November 28, 2022