In This Baseball Hitting Video Spine Mistake,
We’re going over:
- The One-Joint Rule (how-to test “Spinal Integrity”, also known as head and spine alignment),
- Spine Engine Theory (how ALL athletic movement is driven), and
- Tensegrity, OR Tension Integrity (discover how explosive the body’s own natural springiness can be).
Here’s a video of Physical Therapist Dr. Kelly Starrett of MobilityWOD.com demonstrating the One-Joint Rule:
In case you missed it, in the above video, Dr. Kelly Starrett said:
“Hinging at one of the segments [vertebraes in the neck]…when we put a hinge across the central nervous system, the body recognizes that as a primary insult, or threat to the body, because you’re basically guillotining or kinking the nervous system. You’ve kinked ‘the tube’, so it [force production] just drops off.”
He also mentioned:
“The spine has major potential to decrease your force production.”
Here’s video of 2013 NL MVP Andrew McCutchen breaking his head and spine alignment. This is actually a semi-common hitting power mistake made by quite a few of my young hitters – as you’ll see in a bit. Scary to think that Andrew McCutchen was bleeding force at impact with the numbers he put up this past year:
The first baseball hitting video spine mistake was leaked from The Truth About Explosive Rotational Power online video course. This is all a part of the human movement rules. As you can see, breaking our spinal integrity at contact can have a bleeding force effect on performance.
I’ve spent 11+ years in the corrective fitness industry, and have too many alphabet-soup certifications to bore you with.I also played four years of Division One baseball at Fresno State from 2000-2003.
It’s NOT how you study, but what you study that counts.I apply human movement principles (or rules), validated by science, to hitting a baseball and softball.
Latest posts by Joey Myers (see all)
- Why You SHOULD NOT Teach Hitters To Hit Homers? - February 20, 2019
- Slingshot Your Way To An Effective Barrel Path - February 12, 2019
- Belly Buttons, Center Of Gravity, & Quick Way To Solve A Flat Bat - February 6, 2019