In This Softball Hitting Drills: Andrew McCutchen #1 Fix Video (4 of 4),
- #1 Fix to consistent power,
- Science of compressing the spring, and
- How Andrew McCutchen and others get springy…
#1 Fix to Consistent Power
According to Thomas Myers in his book Anatomy Trains, consistent power doesn’t come from conventional softball hitting drills teaching:
- Load hands back towards catcher,
- Pull front arm,
- Fire back hip,
- Push back knee forward and/or down, or
- Pull knob straight to the ball.
According to Dr. Erik Dalton in his collaborative book Dynamic Body, the brain-body connection doesn’t work in this way:
“Modern Science reveals the brain does not recognize individual muscle activities due to lack of practical purpose.”
Science of Compressing the Spring
- Cotton candy or spider web-like material,
- The bones and muscles float in it,
- Is made up of mostly stiff collagen…which to the body, is like steel to the building industry,
- Compression and tension forces are acting within the body at all times, and
- Compressing the spring happens in an “X” pattern across the front and back of the torso.
I call it the Catapult Loading System.
How Andrew McCutchen and Others Get Springy
Watch how similar the following athlete movements are…front shoulder down and back to back hip…
Andrew McCutchen – 2013 NL MVP:
Paul Rabil – USA Lacrosse, fastest throw on record:
Jurgen Schult (German) – Discus World Record Holder (since 1986):
So, when doing softball hitting drills, charge the body’s springy fascial tissue. This is the #1 fix to consistent power. CLICK HERE if you missed Part-3: losing force transfer with a bad head-spine connection.
I’ve spent 11+ years in the corrective fitness industry, and have too many alphabet-soup certifications to bore you with.I also played four years of Division One baseball at Fresno State from 2000-2003.
It’s NOT how you study, but what you study that counts.I apply human movement principles (or rules), validated by science, to hitting a baseball and softball.
Latest posts by Joey Myers (see all)
- Josh Bell Swing Breakdown - July 18, 2019
- Vlad Guerrero Jr Swing Breakdown - July 8, 2019
- Join 18,070+ Of Your Peers Applying Our Validated By REAL Science Hitting Principles - June 4, 2019