To Coaches That Want To Fill A 2021 Roster Spot Despite COVID19
(CLICK HERE for the full transcription of the interview)
UPDATED: Josh has currently found a home at a JC, but I'm sure he'd welcome any other interests.
I'm doing something a little different in this post…
I want to help college coaches. But most importantly, I want to help support one of my High School Seniors that got stuck in this COVID-19 season ending cyclone. What follows is an interview to help coaches fill a 2021 roster spot with a solid student athlete…
The NCAA has allowed a 5th year for seniors in college impacted by COVID-19 season shutdown. I agree with this. It was a good move. However, what about High School seniors who only got to play 15-20 games in 2020, without the opportunity to commit?
I've interviewed one of those seniors, Josh Karr.
— Josh Karr Baseball (@BaseballKarr) April 2, 2020
FULL DISCLAIMER: I've worked with Josh in the past, and his dad reinforces our system with him as well. I wanted to conduct an interview as if I was a college coach recruiting Josh.
Quick stats and highlights from the interview
- 6-foot, 2-inches, 215-pounds. From: Wills Point, Texas. Goes to: Wills Point High School.
- 96-mph ball exit speed off tee using PocketRadar app. Hit 100-mph on LIVE pitching but didn't record that.
- Infield corner position player: 1B/3B, has played outfield before (RF).
- .960 to .970 Fielding%
- 60-yard time: 7.2
- Pop-time: 1.99
- 3.62 grade point average. 1040 SAT.
- Loves Math. Wants to major in Biology, end up in the medical field. Possibly wants to be an NPA.
- 2019 stats (Junior year): .329 BA, .451 SLG%, .537 OBP%. 27 hits, 4 homers, 5 doubles. 26 RBI's.
- Named “player-to-watch” for his region. Out of roughly 540-550 players of the whole region. Josh was one of top 40 they picked for it.
- His main focus hitting right now is line drives
If you want to reach out and contact Josh, you can at the following spots:
- Email – jmkarr at SBCGlobal dot net (formatted this way, so Josh doesn't get a lot of SPAM)
- Phone – 661-889-5543
- MaxPreps page
- On the socials – His personal page on Twitter is: @JoshKarr16 … and his baseball page is: @BaseballKarr …you can DM him there as well.
Final thoughts: yes, I'm a little biased in Josh's case. And no, I don't do this that often. But I'm going to vouch for this graduating High School Senior. Josh comes from a solid family. They're hard workers. Highly disciplined. And focused on what they set their mind to. Josh is a fantastic student. And since I've known him, he does what he needs to to compete at the next level. He needed to cut weight, so he cut 10% body fat and dropped 10-15 pounds last fall. His weakness is pitches down in the zone. He's currently working on driving those pitches on a line. The point is, this is a coachable student athlete that is looking to compete for you. Please reach out…