Discover why squishing the bug batting is bad for basic baseball and softball swing fundamentals. Learn STOP squashing hitting drills and a beginners meaning of the term.
WHY ‘Squishing The Bug’ Is So Dumb
This video is a definitive guide when it comes to WHY ‘squishing the bug’ is an inferior hitting mechanic. Right now, if you find yourself asking if people STILL teach this, then sadly, the answer is yes. I ran into one just the other day on the socials. Nothing but pseudo science and circular reasoning.
Here’s fair WARNING for the small few out there still teaching hitters to ‘squish the bug’. If after watching this video, you’re still not convinced, then you’re old. Consider what Henry Ford once said:
And while we’re at it, look at what Ayn Rand said:
Improve your hitting strategy dramatically by applying human movement principles.
Learn not only how and what to train but also the science behind the methods.
In the above video, we discuss the:
- Experimentation, and
…validating WHY ‘squishing the bug’ is DUMB, and no hitter should ever have to go through something as horrifying as that.
Here are the resources mentioned in the video:
- FanGraphs post by Dan Farnsworth titled, “Breaking Down the Swing: Best Hitters of 2012”
- Washington Post post about Bryce Harper titled, “Bryce Harper: A Swing of Beauty”
- CLICK HERE for my ‘squish the bug’ swing experiment
Also, here’s a recent case study post I did on skipping the back foot titled, “How 175-LB 15yo Is Consistently Hitting The Ball 400-FT With…BBCOR & Wood“.
DON’T BE AN OLD HITTING FART!
- Swing Weight On Back Foot, Transfer, Distribution, And Stance Footwork Hitting Drills For Baseball & Softball Batting - December 5, 2022
- Best Functional Wrist And Tendon Strengthening Exercises At Home For Pain In Baseball & Softball Players | Best For Advanced Grip Strength & Pitching Velocity - December 5, 2022
- Correct Head Position Swing Drill To See Ball Better When Hitting A Baseball & Softball While Batting - December 5, 2022