Improve Line Drive Frequency In A Few Short Weeks
I have a confession to make…
But first, the context,
After driving 7 hours down to San Diego, I met up with a couple boss hitting/pitching dudes.
I had the privilege to sit down and talk hitting with the two co-founders of the Backspin Tee (brothers Taylor and Jarrett Gardner), and 1987 All-Star Silver Slugger Matt Nokes.
Now, the confession…
We only spent 15 minutes “sitting down” (for the above interview), the other time was spent talking hitting in:
- Underground parking garages,
- A library,
- Down the streets of Padre’s Petco Park,
- At a USSSA Pride professional fast-pitch softball game, and
- In a Hilton Hotel lobby over beverages with USSSA Pride infielder Shelby Pendley….
Not to mention, Mr. Matt Lisle graced us with his presence to talk hitting for over an hour at the Pride game.
Also, we narrowly missed Mr. Ryan Lehr on account of him having to be home late night to be a good dad and husband 😉 lol j/k Lehr just busting your balls.
…By the way Lehr (if you’re reading this), Matt Lisle’s wife allowed him to attend the All Star festivities in San Diego (he’s from the Bay Area), for 4+days away from the her and their 4 kids!!
I told him, he must have a lot of money in the family’s ’emotional bank account’ to have the ability to do that.
So, there’s NO excuse Lehr 😛
Needless to say, my brain hurt on the 7-hour drive back home the next day (not a hangover, believe it or not, I only had one beer the night before)…
We’ll be sharing a booth at the 2017 American Baseball Coaches Association (ABCA) conference in Anaheim,
And will be doing more of these LIVE Hitting Think Tank Q&A’s during the conference, so if you find yourself out that way, at that time, then please stop by booth #383 and say hi.
In addition, there will be other mystery guests at the conference coming to our booth to talk about things like pitch tracking, recognition, bat lag, and distraction training.
So, DON’T MISS IT!!
Besides me, here are the cast of characters in the above video:
- Jarrett Gardner – pitched 7 years in the Minors, and is co-founder of the Backspin Batting Tee (post titled, “Baseball Batting Mechanics Risk Hiding In Your Batting Tee”).
- Taylor Gardner – college Track athlete and golfer, and is co-founder of the Backspin Batting Tee (HPL interview with T.G.).
- Matt Nokes – 11 year Big Leaguer (SFG/DET/NY/BAL/COL/TOT), 1987 All-Star and Silver Slugger, CLICK HERE for his hitting site.
In this interview, we discuss the following:
- Defining a line drive (Matt Nokes at 2:13 mark)
- How to get a line drive? (Matt Nokes at 3:20 mark)
- Making adjustments to get to the line drive (Matt Nokes at 4:20 mark)
- The right swing path to get a line drive (Jarrett Gardner at 6:00 mark),
- The idea of a “flat swing” (Matt Nokes at 7:37 mark),
- The goods and bad of “Feel v. Real” & making bold adjustments (Joey Myers at 10:20 mark),
- Correlation DOES NOT necessarily equal causation (Matt Nokes and Joey Myers at 13:31 mark).
We’d love to get YOUR take on what was discussed in the above video,
And, please respond below by letting us know what else you’d like us to discuss at the upcoming ABCA event…by the way, we may record these Q&A sessions and make them available to you at a later date.
THANKS in advance!
I’ve spent 11+ years in the corrective fitness industry, and have too many alphabet-soup certifications to bore you with.I also played four years of Division One baseball at Fresno State from 2000-2003.
It’s NOT how you study, but what you study that counts.I apply human movement principles (or rules), validated by science, to hitting a baseball and softball.
Latest posts by Joey Myers (see all)
- Josh Bell Swing Breakdown - July 18, 2019
- Vlad Guerrero Jr Swing Breakdown - July 8, 2019
- Join 18,070+ Of Your Peers Applying Our Validated By REAL Science Hitting Principles - June 4, 2019