In This Andrew McCutchen Video (1 of 4),
…We’re going to look at how ‘Cutch’ (5’10” 190 lbs*) used Science to beat Paul Goldschmidt (6’3″, 245 lbs*) for the 2013 NL MVP. McCutchen has to stay close to human movement science in order to compete with big guys like Goldschmidt.
(*according to Baseball-Reference.com)
In this Part-1 video, we’ll:
- Demo the Un-Weighting Principal,
- See how Cutch either DOES or DOESN’T use this in his swing, and
- Look at how to work on this at home.
For a different angle on this, CLICK HERE to watch the – 1 min, 58 second – PBS Circus Physics video about the Conservation of Linear Momentum (aka, the Un-Weighting Principal).
A few notable explosive rotational athletes who also use this human movement rule:
- Olympic throwers (javelin, hammer, and discus)
- Olympic shot putters
- Olympic jumpers (high, long, and triple)
WHY the Wide Stance?
I get tired of hearing about instructors pushing the wider [non-athletic] stance. This makes it difficult to create any forward movement in the swing, and see it’s benefits (read below).
I ask my students…what position – with your feet – would you want to cover a fast wide receiver? How about guarding an agile soccer striker? Or jumping to slam dunk a basketball? Hitters need to start from an athletic stance – feet slightly wider than shoulder width.
“Sitting back” isn’t very effective when it comes to dynamic human movements.
As a famous Samurai swordsman Miyamoto Musashi once said:
“In all forms of strategy, it is necessary to maintain the combat stance in everyday life and to make your everyday stance your combat stance.” – Musashi, The Water Book
Un-Weighting Principal Benefits:
- Feel lighter in Final Turn
- Easier to move heavy objects
- Get a ‘head start’
- Front hip moves forward
- Head movement is okay to heel strike
- NO push, natural fall forward
How-To Practice at Home (feedback marker setup)
- Back marker (dimple ball or duct tape) inside back foot
- Front marker is hitter’s bat length, plus one or two baseballs in front
- Get “front hip” to front marker
- Set tee slightly behind front marker
CLICK HERE to watch Part-2, Andrew McCutchen: Do This For Longer Drives. We’ll look at how effective Cutch’s Final Turn is…or isn’t.
- How To Stop AND Fix Missing Under Ball, Hitting Popups, & Late Batting Timing For Baseball And Fast-pitch Softball | Swing Bat Faster, For Power, & Hit More Line Drives - July 1, 2022
- Albert Pujols Talking How To Teach Swing Drills Off Tee, Place Hitting Outside Pitches To Opposite Field Vs Pull, And Keep Hands Inside Out For Baseball, Slow-pitch, & Fast-pitch Softball - July 1, 2022
- How To Hit Slow Pitching, Improve Batting Timing Rhythm Mechanism, & STOP Swinging Early For Beginner Baseball And Softball | Drills & Tips For Better Hitting - July 1, 2022