How To Shorten A Swing Like Kris Bryant…
Ask any “self-proclaimed” hitting coach what a “short swing” is, and you’ll get many differing interpretations.
I think the problem is found in the debate of feel versus real.
If you ask professional and MLB hitters what they’re trying to do, and they’ll use phrases like:
- “I’m trying to stay short to the ball”, or
- “I’m trying to be compact”...
The challenge is these examples are so vague, they’re widely open to interpretation. And give coaches that kind of slack, and they tend to “hang” their hitters.
For instance, take the following swing example of Kris Bryant:
Some coaches will say his swing is too long, and that ONLY Big Leaguers can have swings like this. This is an EXCUSE.
Albert Pujols, Alex Rodriguez, and Mark McGwire have been quoted as saying they swing/swung down on the ball.
You see, what elite hitters are feeling, and what we’re actually seeing on slow motion video (what’s real) can be two totally different things.
So how do we get our hitters to “swing shorter”, like Kris Bryant…?
…without using hitting aids,
And using effective external coaching cues, which science says are far superior than internal ones (CLICK HERE to read this post about that).
Without further adieu, here’s the…
Shorten Swing Path Drill
In the above video we discuss:
- Drill Objective: to help fix “casting”, “long”, or “bat drag” type swings.
- Define “Long” versus “Short” swing
- Finger Pressure for “connection”
- Hitting the “catcher’s glove”:
– “Ferris Wheel” versus “Merry-Go-Round”
– Throwing barrel “sideways”
– Using Variations
- Ropebat as a supplemental hitting aid.
I’ve spent 11+ years in the corrective fitness industry, and have too many alphabet-soup certifications to bore you with.I also played four years of Division One baseball at Fresno State from 2000-2003.
It’s NOT how you study, but what you study that counts.I apply human movement principles (or rules), validated by science, to hitting a baseball and softball.
Latest posts by Joey Myers (see all)
- Join 18,070+ Of Your Peers Applying Our Validated By REAL Science Hitting Principles - June 4, 2019
- Christian Yelich Swing Analysis - May 23, 2019
- Is “Swinging Down” Okay Since Alex Rodriguez Said So? - May 16, 2019