In this JD Martinez swing breakdown, discover if we need to fix dropping the back shoulder or if “tilt” is a natural part of the swing. Learn how to fix swinging under the baseball or fastpitch softball by STOPPING the dropping of hands and a swing uppercut. You’ll also see how to fix hitting well in the cage and batting practice but not in games. Learn how to make swings more “game-like”.
JD Martinez Swing Analysis: 3 Quick Ways To Solve Dipping, Transitioning Swings, & Dropping Hands
In this JD Martinez swing analysis, we’ll be answering the following reader questions:
- How much of a dip in swing is too much?
- How can we get the same results from what we see in the cage to the games?
- Drills to keep hitters from dropping hands?
Also, I referenced the Ground-ball rant in the video detailing why I think ground-balls are gross for hitters. Think about this: what would happen to current MLB average ground-ball rates for hitters (currently 46%) if ALL pitchers suddenly started pitching up in the zone, instead of down in the zone?
Below is the video outline and referenced links…
Improve your hitting strategy dramatically by applying human movement principles.
Learn not only how and what to train but also the science behind the methods.
How Much of Dip in Swing is too Much?
- Goldilocks Golden Rule
- Trouble with excessive upper cut
- Controlling Launch Angle Goal: batted ball leaves bat same height as pitch at impact
For the post I referenced in the above video for this section CLICK, “Baseball Batting Drills To Stop Dipping The Back Shoulder”.
How can we get the Same Results from what we see in the Cage to the Games?
- Training principle of Specificity
- Make it harder in the cage
- Post that addresses this
For the post I referenced in the above video for this section please CLICK, “Baseball Batting Cages: How To Transition Practice Into Game Swings”.
Drills to Keep Hitters from Dropping Hands?
- Effective versus ineffective hand path to the ball
- Hands drop drill
For the post I referenced in the above video for this section please CLICK: “STOP ‘Hands Drop'”. Also, here’s Dr. Mark Cheng explaining Reactive Neuromuscular Training (RNT) as “reverse psychology for your body”.
- Learn Correct Head Position, Keeping It Still, & Seeing Ball Better While Hitting Baseball Or Softball - January 18, 2023
- Is Hitting For Power: Hips Before Hands, Hip Rotation, Legs, Or Lower Body Mechanics For Youth Baseball & Softball Swing? | Drills To Do At Home - January 18, 2023
- Stop Hitting Pop-ups, Why Swinging Under And Missing, & Fix Uppercut Swing By Staying On Top Of Baseball Or Softball Drills - January 17, 2023