In This Baseball Hitting Drill Video,
…We discuss the #1 way to hitting for consistent power by analyzing one of my younger hitters Braden:
- Before and after swing,
- The Un-Weighting Principal, and
- What baseball hitting drill to work on next.
Before & After Swing
It’s so fun to see young men – like Braden – begin to build in human movement principals like Un-Weighting and notice an instant jolt in force at contact. I ask all my students, if you wanted to live, would you rather get hit by a train going thirty miles-per-hour, or a motorcycle going sixty?
Of course the motorcycle! You see, the motorcycle swing is very handsy, fast like a bike but no weight. The train swing uses heavy mass and the slower rotational speed of the torso to pack a wallop at impact. Forward movement and Un-Weighting are only the beginning…
The Un-Weighting Principal
I’m working with Braden on throwing his body mass at the ball. Much like a projectile missile. This helps to make the bat feel lighter to the hitter. And be able to turn harder with less muscle involvement. The swing is a transfer of energy. We’re taking the potential energy contained in the hitter’s body, and getting it moving to transfer into the barrel. Then effectively shift this moving energy into the incoming baseball.
CLICK HERE for a YouTube baseball hitting drill video I put together that demonstrates the power of the Un-Weighting Principal.
What Baseball Hitting Drill to Work on Next?
Braden is coming along nicely with his footwork – with the exception of making sure his lower half is mostly open at the Fight Position (landing). We’ll be getting him to tap into the natural springy effect of his torso. I call it the Catapult Loading System. How the swing is loaded is a difficult concept for most to understand because their focus is on the wrong things:
- Not every great MLB hitter walks away from their hands.
- And not every great MLB hitter is swinging as effectively as they can.
- We tend to study the wrong hitters.
- And the camera view matters.
If you have any questions on this, then please post them below…
- How To Stop AND Fix Missing Under Ball, Hitting Popups, & Late Batting Timing For Baseball And Fast-pitch Softball | Swing Bat Faster, For Power, & Hit More Line Drives - July 1, 2022
- Albert Pujols Talking How To Teach Swing Drills Off Tee, Place Hitting Outside Pitches To Opposite Field Vs Pull, And Keep Hands Inside Out For Baseball, Slow-pitch, & Fast-pitch Softball - July 1, 2022
- How To Hit Slow Pitching, Improve Batting Timing Rhythm Mechanism, & STOP Swinging Early For Beginner Baseball And Softball | Drills & Tips For Better Hitting - July 1, 2022